The Farrells

The Farrells
Matt, Nicki, Owen and Nora live in the San Francisco Bay area. Matt is a research analyst at CBRE and is loving his job. Nicki spends her time playing with Owen and Nora, reading, crafting, and taking lots of pictures. Owen loves to read, sing, throw toys, and quote movies. Nora is growing quickly and loves to be the center of attention. We have a wonderful life!

About Me

Followers

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Life with boys...

Since in a few days I will no longer be the only girl in our house, I just wanted to record some things about life with my two boys. I grew up with a lot of sisters. My walls were painted pink. My bedspread and sheets were pink. We had a dresser drawer full (like, overflowing) with ribbons, bows, and other hair accessories, and another desk drawer downstairs full of more hair things, just in case we didn't have time to run upstairs. We had more curling irons and hair brushes than you care to imagine. Our closets overflowed with fluffy church dresses, and we had dress-up clothes and doll clothes and accessories all over the house. Needless to say, it was a very girly home (don't ask me how my youngest sibling - a brother - made it through unscathed). Since marrying Matt and having Owen, I've gotten to experience the other side of things.

Owen and I spend our days building towers and knocking them over or throwing things at them. We play cars and trains and build things with his tool set. He is great at running, jumping, and climbing - especially the furniture. His stuffed animals occasionally "eat" each other or other toys (particularly his stuffed lion - you've really got to watch out for that one). We come home from walks with our pockets full of rocks. There are a lot of wrestling matches and comparing of muscles in our house. We frequently sing the theme song from Star Wars. We talk about carving wood, practice throwing balls, and discuss theories and techniques for wilderness survival. Getting ready for church involves shining shoes, matching ties, and combing gel into hair to make the perfect spike. Though it's completely different from how I grew up, I have loved every minute of it. Life here is about to get a lot more pink, and I'm not sure Owen (or Matt) is quite ready for the sheer amount of ruffles or accessories. Anyway, here are a few pictures that capture what we do every day as a predominantly boy household. 

Climbing as high as he can (or as high as I will let him) at the playground

Pirate treasure hunt

With his treasure box

Surveying the booty

Pirate faces

Practicing his remote control car skills

Working hard... can you see that tongue?

Hanging out in the Jeep at grandma Bromley's house

One of Owen's favorite things to do with daddy is watch funny YouTube videos. His current favorite is  "They're Taking the Hobbits to Isengard". He watches it over and over, and cracks up every time.

Eating a potty prize from grandma in the bathtub

Throwing rocks into the lake at Shadow Cliffs park

Searching for the perfect rock

My two boys on the hike back to the car

Silly boy

We had to stop in this "bampoo" fort several times during our walk

I love my boys. I love being with them and I love the fun and craziness they bring to our home. I'm excited for our little girl to get here too - not only because I'm excited to have pink and ruffles in the house again, but I'm also SO excited to see Matt become a dad who can accessorize his little girl, and Owen become a big brother that does everything he can to protect his little sister. Love these two. :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Aww your little fam is so cute!! That's pretty awesome that you are going to be able to have the ruffles AND the bow ties. Such fun.