The Farrells

The Farrells
Matt, Nicki, Owen and Nora live in the San Francisco Bay area. Matt is a research analyst at CBRE and is loving his job. Nicki spends her time playing with Owen and Nora, reading, crafting, and taking lots of pictures. Owen loves to read, sing, throw toys, and quote movies. Nora is growing quickly and loves to be the center of attention. We have a wonderful life!

About Me

Followers

Sunday, November 13, 2011

a few thoughts about Owen...

Owen is such a great kid that I wanted to get some of these things recorded before I forget them. This is more of a journal post so that I can remember him at this age, so feel free to skip it if you want to. :)

Owen has never gone through the "gimme" phase - he is generally a very polite boy and will always say please for what he wants. However, when he is not sure whether or not we're going to give him what he wants, he tries all sorts of tricks. Here are two of my recent favorites:

Owen cupped his hands together and looked at them and said "Look at my hands... they would be so happy if they had some goldfish." And later on after he had eaten the ones we gave him "oh... they're so empty again".

When playing with his toys, he always says "it's too bad so sad that I don't have a [insert desired toy], huh mom?"

Here are another few funny sayings from Owen:

*bref-kisk = breakfast
*mishmellow = marshmallow
*long-nower = lawnmower
*longing = mowing (this one kills me every time - he talks about the maintenance guys around our apartment, saying that they're "longing" the grass)
*mlunch = lunch (I have no idea why he adds the extra "m" on the front)
*He calls Slinky Dog from Toy Story "Stinky Dog".
*He copies the Spanish Buzz part from Toy Story 3, but he has no idea that it's in another language. He yells "Buzz Lightyear all ska-tay" when playing with Buzz.
*Owen loves the movie Monsters Inc. and talks about it all the time, but can't quite get the characters' names right - he calls them "Mice Wah-owki" and "Silly"

Today was our Primary program, and since both Matt and I teach in Primary (I teach the 4-year-olds, Matt teaches the 6-year-olds), we had grandma and grandpa Bromley come sit with Owen while we were up on the stand. Owen did great, and loved watching the kids sing. He was SO excited when we sang "I Love To See The Temple" - he knows and loves that song, and sang it at the top of his lungs in sacrament meeting along with the whole Primary. He was so proud of himself for singing with the big kids.

When we picked Owen up from nursery today after church, his teacher said that he had done such a good job coloring and listening. She always tells us that he's so polite and reverent, and that he's totally ready for Primary. It makes me happy to know that we made it through the hitting phase in Primary (which we heard about from Owen for a couple of weeks - "he took my toy so I hit him") and now he does great in church.

Owen loves to color, and especially loves it when I color with him. We each have our own coloring books - his is Toy Story and mine is Tangled. When I color with him he makes me look up the characters on the computer so I get the colors right, and if I color something he thinks is wrong, he tells me to correct it, or he just picks up a crayon and fixes it himself. It gets to the point where I have to sit far enough away that he can't see me, otherwise he just ends up bossing me around the whole time and never coloring his picture.

Anyway... those are just some things that I want to remember about Owen right now. We love this funny boy.

No comments: